Thursday, October 27, 2005

Security blanket

I don't actually have a security blanket, never had one as a little kid (instead I had a baby pillow my mom brought home from Germany almost fifteen years before I was born because she knew she wanted to have a baby someday, and yes, it does still stay in my bed with me, no matter where I go), though I do have a few chenille throw blankets that have to be on top of the covers that I like to have right up against my face. And if you followed that sentence, you get a gold star.

This entry, though, has not a lot to actually do with blankets. I think that sometimes relationships can be a sort of security blanket. I'm not a huge relationship person, really, I don't have a lot of friends, which is kind of just a choice I made. I'm not a trusting person. I'm not an open person. Sharing, trusting, it all makes me really nervous. Trying to make connections with people, it's not something I feel secure in. But then, there comes a point in the relationship, assuming I stick it out, where I do feel secure in the relationship, where I stop doubting it, where I really trust that I'm not going to mess it up, and that point, that's really the best. My cousin K, I trust my relationship with her more than anything. I know, no matter what, she's always going to be in my life. It's complete and utter safety for me, totally security. I just recently got to point with my friend E where I trust it, where it doesn't freak me out any more. I can't even explain how great a feeling it is, though. I don't know that I'm making any sense, it's just something that's been on my mind for a few days and I thought I'd try to share it.

What makes you feel secure?

No comments: