Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Lucky

I can't help but feel lucky everytime I watch the news lately. Everything I get upset about, everything I complain about is so trivial...because I still have a house. I haven't lost everything I own. Last year there was a tornado in my town (while we were on vacation). It destroyed our yard, we lost 30+ trees, some of which landed on our house. Broken doors, broken windows, torn up roof. But our house was okay, everything in it was okay, everything we lost was replacable. The clean up was horrible. But you know what? People we'd never met, some of whom we never even learned their names, they came to my town and they helped us. They came from all over to do anything they could to help a bunch of people they didn't even know. It's easy sometimes to watch the news and look at the world and lose hope. But I just always think back to these people, because amazing, good people do exist.

We dealt with the Red Cross last year. And after seeing what they do first hand, I'll always donate to them, along with hospice, for the rest of my life. Because I've seen what these people from this amazing organazation do. They help they give. It's a wonderful organzation, worthy of everything given to it and so much more. I read somewhere that the American Red Cross is our countries most respected charity and I can't imagine anyone more worthy of that honor than these people.

No comments: